Tuesday 25 October 2011

More Adjusting Things

I got this dress back in July. The back fits perfectly but the front is too small. Anyway as it was only £5 I decided to get it anyway and experiment with making it fit. 


First I unpicked the seam down the centre dress front, tried the dress on and adjusted the front knot to fit.


The zip is down the centre of the back.


The idea is to fill the space with an underlayer of fabric.


The best fabric I had was this old primark skirt I no longer wear much. A plain black or black with small yellow polka dots would have looked better.


I checked I had enough fabric and then cut the waistband from the skirt and ironed the fabric pieces.


I measured how wide it would need to be and created a gathered panel to attach to the dress. 


I tried the dress on again and once happy sewed the panel into place. The rectangle holds the gathered fabric together and covers the space over which the knot is tied. 


This is what it looks like tied.


Then I tidied the seams, cut off the extra panel fabric and hemmed it. I hemmed it last as the dress has a circle skirt and it's easier to follow the curve of the circle once everything is attached together.


Now after three months it is finally ready to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment