Tuesday 18 August 2015

Today's Dress: Blue Pansies

This dress isn't a vintage dress but handmade in a vintage inspired style. While it has the wide skirt hem similar to that of 1950s dresses, the print, waistband width, bust-waist ratio, bust dart placement, type of thread used and long central back zip are all modern.

It had some major issues when I bought it, including a tacked in pale blue open ended zip, uneven gathering where the straps attached to the front of the dress and a multitude of loose threads. I needed to shorten the straps for my short torso anyway so tidied this up by cutting off the existing gathers. Before sewing in an invisible zip in matching mid-blue, I tidied up the lining and secured it in place. I also took the dress in by a few inches at the waist. I decided against breaking the print by adding front darts and so there is a little gaping at the neckline. To counter this I always wear the dress with a top underneath or cardigan, making it a cheerful dress for autumn-ish days.

1950s/1960s Style Dress - Flamingo Vintage
Lipstick - Besame Red Velvet 1946
Earrings - Boots

Necklace - charity shop
Cardigan - Zara via charity shop

Shoes - Clarks


Photo from streetstylesnaps.com
I last wore this dress back in November when I was first photographed for The Street Style Carousel.

No comments:

Post a Comment