Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Long Project

Writer Sherwood Smith has a whole world planned out in her head. Her characters are vividly real people not just amazing characters. She calls the stories set in her world - an entire history of events and adventures - her long project. It's a project that requires work and attention to detail above all else.

This is my long project. I found this silk chiffon dress in a charity shop for £7. It's originally from Monsoon which sells very pretty and expensive dresses. It was three sizes too big so I set about to unpicking the seams carefully and taking it in. This also meant altering the hem to ensure the dress still falls right when fabric is removed at the sides. Each segment of the skirt must fall at a certain angle, this must be symmetrical around the dress and the angle must correspond to the desired length of the dress. (Most useful thing I've done with trigonometry in eight years.)

The adjustable straps were missing so I also started to bead my own by hand. I also beaded a belt to wear with it. When finished I'll have used almost 800 beads. The belt alone uses c.600 beads. I need to finish the straps soon but it's quite tiring doing the beading, especially when I could be outside enjoying the sunshine. Every bead must be placed correctly to 1mm to get a perfect finish. Perhaps I've being obssessive but the effect when they are perfectly lined up is stunning. I have until next August to finish it anyway and then I can wear it to a friend's wedding.

I bought the shrug in a little shop in Oxford.






No comments:

Post a Comment