Sunday 29 January 2012

This Smart Dress - alteration

Following on from yesterday's post, I alter a Reiss dress to fit my problematic figure.


The back, shoulders and waist were way too big so I unpicked the darts at the back. The idea is to take out more fabric from new darts in the same place. 



Like so


This means unpicking the top half from the waist to separate the fabric from the lining.


Pin. Try on. Pin. Try on. For about an hour. Until I get it right. 


Taken in all the way down the back. Additional darts to narrow the shoulders. I do the same with the lining on the inside. 


It's much easier to hand stitch this than machine sew as I have only a hand space where the top is detached from the waist to get inside the dress and the lining. Not enough room to fit a machine arm. Here it is done with invisible stitches. 


Small tucks narrow the skirt so it can be reattached to the top half of the dress.



No comments:

Post a Comment